Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Defying Gravity


I love the The Orpheum. There is just something about getting all dressed up and going into this building that gets me all excited. This past Saturday, I third-wheeled it with the parents to see Wicked. Let me start off by saying that I have wanted to see Wicked for like four years now. When I was in NYC my senior year of high school, it was on Broadway at that time and there were billboards EVERYWHERE advertising the show. At the time, I had no idea what it was even about. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that I googled it as soon as I got home (no iPhones to help with a quick google question back then). I was so interested to learn that it was a spin-off of the Wizard of Oz because I have loooveddd the story of ol' Dorothy since I was little... even though the munchkins used to scare the bejesus out of me. Anyways, fast forward to four years later, and I can finally say that I have seen Wicked.

It was everything that I hoped it would be. I have never laughed out loud in a Broadway show as much as I did with this one! AND, I love that I knew most of the songs prior to going... although I'm fairly certain my parents and the people around me certainly wish that I had not. My absolute favorite is Defying Gravity, which is the namesake of this post. I just love the lyrics and the moment when Elphaba and Glinda are singing this together. It is just so powerful, for lack of a better word. My favorite line:

"I'm through accepting limits cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but till I try, I'll never know. Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost. Well if that's love, it comes at much too high a cost. I'd sooner buy defying gravity. Kiss me goodbye. I'm defying gravity.And you can't pull me down!

All in all, great night and great show! I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment